Many of us work in offices, and we end up sitting for 6 to 8 hours each day. Sitting for too long without moving can lead to health problems. Studies have shown that people who experience prolonged periods of sitting can suffer from cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes and more.
Here are 6 exercises that you can perform while sitting at your desk to refresh and strengthen your body.
Exercise 1: Knee To Elbow Lift
This exercise is great for your waist. It works the obliques and lower abs. To start, make sure your knee meets your opposite elbow. Your upper body should also slightly turn.
- Sit with a straight spine and without touching the backrest of the chair. Put your hands behind your head.
- Lift your right knee towards your chest. While doing this, bend your left elbow to meet your knee.
- Then return back to the original position. Repeat 15 times.
- Switch your knee and elbow, and repeat another 15 times.
- Try to do 4 sets of 15 for each side.
Exercise 2: Body Lift Above The Chair
This exercise burns fat fast. It helps tone the muscles in the belly, back, and shoulders. Just make sure that your chair is not set on rolling wheels.
- While sitting in the chair, hold the arms of the chair tightly.
- Lift your body above the chair, making your hips and legs hang in the air. Then use your abdominal muscles to raise your knees to your chest.
- Stay in this position for 15-20 seconds, or as long as you can, then slowly return to your original sitting down position and take a few seconds to rest.
- Repeat this exercise 4 times.
Exercise 3: Bending
This exercise helps to workout the abdominals, sides and the hips.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Straighten your arms out at the level of your shoulders.
- Turn your upper body to the right, bend forward, and touch your left hand with your right foot. Stay in this position for 5-10 seconds and enjoy the stretch.
- Return to the original position with arms out to your sides.
- Now bend to your left, and touch your right hand to your left foot.
- Repeat 20 times, alternating sides with each bend.
Exercise 4: Double Knee Lift Combined With Body Side Bends
This exercise shapes your waist. Oblique muscle workouts can help to give your hips a beautiful shape.
- Sit on the edge of your chair with your back straight. Hold the chair tightly with both hands.
- Bend your body to the side, and sit only on one glute.
- While holding your legs together in sitting position, lift both knees towards your chest.
- Return to your original position.
- Now bend to the other side and repeat the exercise.
- Repeat 10-20 times on each side.
Exercise 5: Double Knee Lift
This exercise is great for your lower abs.
- Hold your legs together and hold the sides of the chair with both hands.
- While keeping your back straight, lift your knees and pull them towards your chest. Your abdominal muscles should be flexed at this point.
- Slowly lower your feet back down, but don’t touch the floor.
- Now raise your knees back up to your chest, and repeat.
- Repeat this movement 10-20 times.
Exercise 6: Knee-To-Chest Lift
This strengthens the abdominal muscles, gives a good hip stretch relieving tension, improves digestion, and helps to burn body fat.
- Sit down in your chair. Keep your back straight without it touching the back of the chair.
- Put your feet on the floor, hips-width apart.
- Keep your back straight. Then lift your right knee, and pull it towards your chest. Pull in the stomach when you do this.
- Put your hands on your shin and pull your knee to your chest even further for a greater and more relaxing stretch.
- Repeat this 20-30 times while alternating your knees.
Give these 6 sitting exercises each day you are at work, and learn to enjoy them as they are keeping your body healthy and free from the potential difficulties of sitting in a chair all day.
As with any serious exercise regimen designed to give you a flat belly, it’s important to remember that burning calories and reducing the body’s total overall body fat is the only way to really work the stomach size down. Exercising a certain body part will indeed strengthen and grow the muscles in that area, for example the abs get stronger and bigger from doing sit-ups, but a 6-pack will only come from an exercise routine based high in cardio and aerobic activity that burns calories, and is matched with a lean diet low in fats, carbs and sugar.